1.10.2009

My Dad

My Dad...

is awesome! He was my "knight in shining armor" when I was growing up. My heart belonged to my Dad first. He is awesome! He is my Dad!

My Dad ... is getting older and having a difficult time taking care of himself. I don't see him as an 81 year-old-man. I see him as my Dad! But 81 year-old men move slower, remember less, take frequent naps.

My Dad ... isn't able to drive anymore. He is losing his independence. He has been scammed and relinquished of his hard earned money. He doesn't eat much anymore. He doesn't get outside enough. He doesn't get many visitors. Life is fairly uneventful as of late.

My Dad ... I love my Dad! My Dad is awesome! He taught me not to cheat at games because there wasn't any challenge to playing a game if you're gonna cheat. He taught me to be tolerant because he wants to be tolerated (and he's not a difficult man!) He taught me to love others and to be mindful of those who are less fortunate than I am.

When I was a teenager we invited friends and co-workers to our Thanksgiving Dinner who couldn't be with their families. This was at a time when we were estranged from some of our family members. To this day I always have an extra place at my Thanksgiving table. Anyone is welcome. Because I would want to be welcome in someone's home when/if I am alone.

We have shared some very difficult times and are better off because of them. For now, we appreciate more and require less. We love more and judge less. I am a better person because of my Dad. I know that no matter what, I can start over if I have to and be just fine. My Dad loves me and believes in me and he always will.

I love you Dad!

3 comments:

  1. That's sweet. Your dad is a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janeen, thank you for visiting my blog and making the sweet comment. This post is such a lovely tribute to your father. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm a Daddy's girl myself. Unfortunately, he lost his independence due to Alzheimer's and several years before he died our roles were reversed. He was a wonderful artist and encouraged and inspired me to create. I miss him every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janeen, you are fantastic. Thank you for an uplifting post. I should also mention that you are a gifted writer. Keep at it. Your wonderful dad is blessed to have an amazing daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please be respectful. There is never a good reason to be rude or unkind.